October 24, 2014

Wi-fi adapters that work with Linux

I rehab old computers that have XP/Vista on them and could still be useful. For some reason the Dell wireless cards found in many laptops do not work well with Linux, so I've been on the lookout for a USB wi-fi adapter that works well. The TP-Link TL-WN722N works flawlessly, installs without any comment in Zorin, Mint, etc.
That one sticks out a fair bit, so I use a short USB extension cable and tape it to the back of the laptop's lid.
I also discovered that the TP-LINK TL-WN725N  works just as well, and because its nano size will work better for laptops because it doesn't stick out so far. Not only did it install without an issue, but from two rooms away from the 802.11G router it got maximum download speeds as tested by http://speedof.me .