September 11, 2009

David Marusek's "Counting Heads"

Although I like to read science fiction, either it or I changed over the last few years, and I think I stop reading about a third of the books I check out from the library because they just aren't doing it for me (and this is after I am choosy at the shelves; and don't even get me started on how Fantasy and Horror are classified with the same spine sticker, oft leading me astray). But I just read a great book that I can recommend to anyone interested in what the future may hold technologically and socially: "Counting Heads" by David Marusek. The guy has quite an imagination, and the ability to incorporate technology into the story smoothly. And there's a *lot* of tech talk: almost every page has multiple introductions to cool futurist ideas; and the guy is a genius at naming things. I just inter-library-loan-requested his follow-up book, "Mind Over Ship".