May 27, 2009

In praise of FrontPage

I like Microsoft FrontPage. It's good at building and managing websites (especially with multiple people doing the work). It can do things no other site management software can do (which is something I ask when other people talk about Dreamweaver, CMS systems, etc.).

I work for a company that builds most of its intranet with Microsoft FrontPage. I build and manage internet sites with it.

FrontPage put website-managing capability into the hands of people who were unable or unwilling to learn to code everything by hand. There's a lot to be said for the WYSIWYG interface. It's great if someone can code up a site with Notepad, but it's not the only way to do things, or even the most efficient.

A couple of our local school websites that I manage, formerly with FrontPage, have been converted over to a CMS system, and it is *not* a good change. The sites are much slower even for browsing, and editing is very, very slow and clunky, and I can only do a small subset of the things I used to do before. It is not progress.