April 14, 2009

YouSendIt and Websense and the "Special Yearly Offer" (Special Retention Offer)

I was a happy YouSendIt (yousendit.com) account holder for some time. Then my workplace, or rather the Websense service they use, classified the site as "Personal Network Storage and Backup", and blocked it at our firewall. YouSendIt's service is not usable for either network storage or backup, but my own company's IT group would not or could not understand that (or more likely, were not willing to contact Websense regarding the improper classification), so I was forced to cancel my $30 a month Business Plus account, which had served me well up until then.

When I tried to cancel my account, I was presented with a "Special Retention Offer" that listed several major components of their service (that I already had as a Business Plus customer), detailing max file sizes, bandwidth, etc. and then said "In other words, you get the same great YouSendIt service at a lower price." Figuring I could still use the service from home, I signed up for this deal, only to find out shortly thereafter that several major components of the Business Plus plan were *not* included in the Special Retention Offer, including the big one, the Dropbox (which allowed people to send *me* things). Of course they'd already posted the $20 charge to my credit card, even though I had weeks to go on the old plan, and I had to wait until that time to cancel my account (because my account was already in a "pending downgrade state"), and then they refunded the $20 as a "service gesture".

Next time I'll use the "NO THANKS" button.